Friday, December 19, 2008

Mazal Tov and Chanukkah

My friend had a baby boy!! I don't know if he was born on Wed night or Thurs morning, but I'm sure I'll find out eventually. They are having a shalom zachor tonight, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to let my hubby go. We're expecting this gigantic snow storm, and even though it's not a particularly far walk (and he will have already walked to and from shul earlier on), I really don't want him to slip and fall--he already did that once today and the snow hasn't even started yet. :-)

One of our friends brought over food for Shabbos, but my hubby is making a cholent for Shabbos lunch just in case there isn't enough for two meals. Yum!

In other news, I'm having SO much trouble sleeping. Insomnia, back pain, can't get comfortable, mind racing, can hear heartbeat while lying down, etc. It takes forever to fall asleep and then I keep waking up. I have no idea how much sleep I got last night...I laid down around 11pm and woke up officially around 9:45am, but that doesn't mean I got more than 5 or 6 hours. lol

Chanukkah starts Sunday night! A pyromaniac's favorite holiday...get to light one more candle every night. Just so everyone knows, Chanukkah has nothing to do with Christmas and is not one of Judaisms most important holidays. Basically, Antiocus IV (king of the Seleucids) outlawed Judaism and desicrated the Beis Hamikdosh. We defeated them and re-dedicated the Beis Hamikdosh around 165 BCE. There are two miracles that are celebrated at Chanukkah. Firstly, we defeated the Seleucids with a MUCH, MUCH smaller army, and secondly, when we went to re-dedicate the Beis HaMikdosh we only found enough oil to light the Menorah in the Beis HaMikdosh for one day. The oil used for this purpose is very special oil, so we were lucky to even find that amount, but it was going to take much longer to produce more. The oil, however, lasted for 8 days, which gave us time to make more. So, we light candles on a Chanukiyah every night of the holiday--starting with one for the first night, two on the second night, etc. There is also one candle that lights the others, so it is always lit first. There are other traditions of eating a rediculous amount of fried foods--latkes and in Israel they make special jelly donuts called sufganiyot--to celebrate the oil. mmmmm Fried happiness... Happy Chanukkah!

Click HERE for my list of Hebrew & Yiddish word definitions

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are having trouble sleeping. I will have my nights that it's really difficult to sleep. I usually have back pain those nights too. And the heartbeat thing. Apparently very uncommon. I have researched it and I don't see much on it. I haven't heard of many other pregnant women having it. When I spoke to my doctor, he seemed to be a bit concern so I had an ultra sound of the arteries in my neck. I hear my heart beat/gushing in my left ear, and it is especially worse when I lay down. If I lay with that ear pressed on my pillow, it generally isn't so bad. Either way it's very unpleasant. It makes carrying on conversations kind of hard since in one ear I'm hearing this heart beating. Mine started around 16wks.
    Happy Chanukkah!! Thanks for all the teaching, it's awesome. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a really rough time sleeping for the past month, too. I'm not sure what it is. Sigh.

    Hope you are having a happy Chanukkah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Chanukkah! Enjoy all the yummyness that is fried food!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For our Chanukah party, we made homemade fried chicken and latkes. SO good. We also bought sufganiyot from our bakery around the corner (always kosher; we only discovered it last year though). By the way, the captcha this time is "pupeess"!

    ReplyDelete