Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mastitis

Ahh, the joys of breastfeeding. Last night my left breast started to ache. REALLY ache. It was so sore to the touch, I thought it might just fall off. Then I couldn't sleep. I was tossing and turning and getting chills. Finally I said, maybe I have a fever. Bingo. 99.9F and rising. I googled "mastitis," because I was 99% sure that's what it was, and I was 100% correct. I called the doctor on call who noted my symptoms and agreed with me, even though usually fevers with mastitis go above 101F. This was all around 2-3am, so I fed the twins as long as I was up. When I went back to bed, I had a lot of trouble sleeping and finally got out of bed at 8:30am. I felt so rotten that I took my temperature again...101.6F. Whoooops! Looks like 2 extra strength tylenol didn't do a darned thing. And now I was achy all over with a headache to boot. I seriously felt like something the cat dragged in. Time to pull out the big guns--take 3 tylenol instead of 2! I'm feeling a little better, but still headachy. My breast feels much better than it did last night, but still not wonderful. My hubby just went to CVS to fetch my prescription and we'll hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment