Saturday, October 27, 2018

Post-Shabbos Post

Friday's thoughts:
We got a few delicata squash the other day, and Shmuel made them for Shabbos dinner. He wasn't sure what to do with them after they were cooked, so I basically covered them with brown sugar and cinnamon, then raisins. THEY WERE SO GOOD! And the kids were fascinated by the fact that they could eat the skin. Tzipora may have been a bit horrified by the idea and made faces. Gavriella, unsurprisingly, refused to touch it. She has no idea what she missed out on. Dovid ate it with gusto. For a child that eats everything with gusto and finishes at least twice as much food as I do at dinner, he doesn't grow so much. If I ate like he did at dinner, I'd look like a balloon! If we could trade metabolisms (excluding the diabetes part), we'd be all set. 😄

I had a great week at work with a lot of happy moments, but also a few sad ones. Luckily the happy moments for my patients usually outweigh the unhappy ones. I adore my patients, and seeing them glowing with joy when they become pregnant is one of the highlights of my life.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, even though I am working this weekend. I'm hoping I'll get a decent amount of work done so that I can be ahead for the week to come. And then on Sunday afternoon we'll be going to the NICU reunion at St Elizabeth's! This is something we've done every year since the twins were very little, and the kids look forward to it every year. I will make sure to share pictures of it afterward.

Saturday's thoughts:
Shock. Awe. Horror. None of these words even come close to what I felt when I read about the tragedy in Pittsburgh. Jews...targeted only because they are Jewish. Shot while praying on the Sabbath. Murdered while celebrating the recent birth of a child. How something like this can happen in the United States in the modern world is beyond me. But shootings continue happening. I don't think armed guards are the answer. I don't think arming citizens is the answer. But unfortunately I do not know what the answer is. Hate is like a disease that spreads and causes people to do unthinkable things. I am angry. I am extremely sad. And I cried....I cried for the people who lost their lives today, for their families and friends, and for the world in general. What have we come to?

No comments:

Post a Comment