Monday, June 28, 2010

My Baby Has a Nose!

Among other things. lol We had our nuchal translucency test done today, and all went well there. Baby is measuring 100% on target for his/her due date - 60.7mm CRL with a heart rate of (I believe) 149bpm. Nuchal fold was perfect...like 1.6mm, and they like to see it below 3mm. He/she was bouncing around all over the place during the exam and seemed to be having a good time. Here's a scan of the only picture I got *sigh*.

I can see that it's a head with a nose. :-D Anyway, after the scan the MFM doctor came in, and boy was that fun. NOT! The guy proceeded to scare me senseless about doing a "trial of labor" rather than an elective C-Section...telling me how much higher the risk of horrible things happening if I try to labor. Things like uterine rupture, higher risk of infection after a C-Section during labor rather than a C-Section not in labor, that kinda stuff. So, I'm being an informed patient and going straight to the source--the man who did the C-Section! He's supposed to call me so we can discuss what HE feels the risks are of laboring/delivering vaginally vs. planned C-Section. Since I want to have many kids, having several C-Sections is a really bad idea and something to try to be avoided, but having the baby and I live through labor/delivery is kinda the ultimate in importance. The doctor who did my C-Section has no monetary gain from me having a C-Section this time around, since I won't be delivering at his hospital. Hopefully I'll be able to get an honest doctorly opinion from an "innocent bystander" who actually knows EVERYTHING that happened in the delivery room. What are your thoughts? You guys know the story, what do you think are my chances of uterine rupture or something equally horrifying? :-)

15 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Beautiful picture!!! And yay for a great NT measurement!

I went back and reread your birth story. Considering the ruptured artery had nothing to do with the labour, but rather the surgery, my gut says that things should be fine for a vbac. BUT, I'm not a doctor, so I'm just pulling that opinion out of my butt. I think it's an excellent idea to get the opinion of the doc who was there and who doesn't have anything to gain from you having another c-section.

Sarah R said...

Beautiful!!! ♥

Bella said...

I think in general the risk is .7%. They much prefer VBAC if the patient has had a prior successful vaginal delivery. After my first C-section, (breech position) my doc told me he was fine with VBAC if I waited at least 18mo-2 yrs before conceiving again, to minimize risk of rupture. My second delivery was twins so I ended up with another C-section anyway. I'm pregnant with twins again so far, and I have a feeling VBAC is totally off the table for me!

Jennifer said...

I sometimes read your blog...lurker. :P

Congratulations on your pregnancy. My sister-in-law had a c section with her first and then had 3 vaginal births. Of course I don't know how your first two situations compare except she never had twins.

I hope you get the best advice from your former Dr.

Eileen said...

I saw the ultrasound photo on FB and it brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful! I am so excited for you. Praying that a VBAC will be a possibility for you. Sorry I have been MIA lately. The last couple of months have been a lot to deal with.

Logical Mommy said...

It's so weird the way that they try to scare people out of VBAC. Yes, there is twice as much chance of uterine rupture than labor without having had a previous c-section...but consider that uterine rupture is pretty rare to begin with.

My aunt had a C-section in 1982 and went on to have 2 VBACs in 1985 and 1987.

Lori said...

It really galls me when doctors flat out LIE to patients, and nowhere does it seem more prevalent than in obstetrics. The recent NIH conference on VBACs concluded that a first VBAC is essentially the same amount of risk as a woman delivering her first baby.

Particularly if you want a lot of kids, the risks go up and up and up with each c-section, while the risks go down and down and down with each VBAC. There is a ton of research demonstrating the safety of VBACs. Here is a good place to start: http://cfmidwifery.org/pdf/ResearchVBAC&CSforICAN04-2009.pdf

Be wary of any doctor who puts "restrictions" on your VBAC, such as: requiring an epidural, requiring NO epidural, must deliver by 40 weeks, etc. These are not evidence based "rules."

There's tons of great info out there... Shira knows how to reach me if you ever want to talk.

WiseGuy said...

Oooh...looks like you are an absolute right track...glad that the baby is doing well!

I have no idea about the C-section thing, so really don't know what to say....

mommybird said...

My MIL delivered DH in 1981 by c-section. She went on to have 3 VBACs. I don't think you should be afraid to try for a VBAC. It's not like they can't wheel you into the OR and perform the c-section if they need to. Uterine rupture is so rare so the double chances are really not as high as they sound. I would go for a VBAC, especially if you want many children. If you do an elective c-section this time it really diminishes your chances of ever having a vaginal birth and limits the number of children you will be able to have.

ssbean said...

I am in the same situation you are in. My dr. who did my c-sec said since I didn't progress after so long of being induced that chances are my pelvic area is too small for a baby to come out. But he doesn't do vbac because there are several hospitals in the area and he would have to stay on the l&d floor with me while I labor, but he can't do it if somebody else goes into labor at a different hospital. There is a teaching hospital that has residents and of course doctors who oversee them. I also have the option of getting a 2nd or even 3rd opinion from a midwife and doctor here in the town I live in (there's only 1 hospital). My doctor clearly doesn't want me change doctor's as he would lose a patient. I'm going to talk with a few others and see if they would be willing to do a vbac, but I also need to check out a couple hospitals before I make my final decisions. With Ellie they did the c-section, but they didn't take her away from me, she stayed right there with us while they sewed me up and in recovery I was able to nurse her. Regardless of what happens I want that to be done again. So that's my story...obviously I can't help you out. Find out how your incision is. Talk with a few different doctor's and get their input because they may really not even want to do a vbac.

elbonian18 said...

My wife had every possible complication- and wants to try VBAC. In the mean time, uterine rupture is a genuine risk in her case. I do not know what it is for you, but based on how I read what the docs say, I don't think that it is so bad. OTOH, I saw what a woman looked like going into the OR after failed VBAC. Not pretty (then again, who is after labor)..

Jamie said...

And what a beautiful nose it is!

I don't have any personal experience, but I would think talking to YOUR doctor is the best idea.

Luster Canyon said...

Thanks for following Luster Canyon Blog
through Welcome Wednesday, following you back and congrats on your pregnancy.. :)

Have a great week!!!

sEy said...

following you back from Welcome Wednesday :) Thanks for following my blog

Clueless_Mama said...

I love ultrasound pictures. I remember before having my own baby I could never see them like now. Just beautiful!!