Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Day off

Today was one of my rare days off, but of course no mom has a real day off. 😄 My day was spent in appointments and running errands. I feel like I accomplished quite a bit, in fact. And I even went to Costco and bought (way too many) Chanukkah gifts for the kiddos. Apparently I should not be left alone in Costco. Especially not when there are LOTS OF BOOKS. Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Judy Blume, and Beverly Cleary are going to take up an entire bookshelf of their own in December. I got a few other things for them, too, which I am sure they will like.

I also made it over to the thrift store, something I never get to do because I almost never have a Wednesday off. The Brighton Allston Congregational Church on Washington Street has a thrift shop that's only open on Saturdays and Wednesdays. I can't shop on Saturdays, and I haven't had Wednesdays off in a very long time. When I passed by there today (several times) it reminded me that they were open! I browsed a bit - found a cute Chanukkah-themed art piece that I did not buy but gave me a chuckle. They frequently have random Jewish-themed items in the shop that I've noticed in the times I've been there, and this time was no different. They also usually have a collection of eclectic purses, and my girls all love purses. So for a few bucks I can make someone in my household very happy. I found a really cute purse that had rainbow colors, and I knew it had to come home with me. It was very quickly claimed by Gavriella.


I also found an adorable apple-shaped dish which I thought would be cool to put honey in for Rosh Hashana. Inside it are red and white polished "rocks," which I had assumed would not be included in purchasing the dish, but the man at the register told me to take them as well.


I spent a total of $2 at the thrift store. Can you believe it?

On another topic, there was a comment on my last post asking about how we're managing with Dovid's diabetes. We're actually doing quite well. He started on a pump over the summer and it's connected with a continuous glucose monitor. They work together to keep his blood sugar regulated, which is pretty nice. It's not perfect - as no machine can be - but I think his blood sugars have been a lot better than they were before. He's not venturing up into the 300 or 400s nearly as much as he used to. Dovid has gotten used to the carb calculations, pump changes, sensor changes, and finger sticks that go along with being a diabetic. It's never going to be easy, but we're managing. I'll have to get a picture of him showing off his pump. He is very proud of it, though he needs to learn to stop playing with it. Anything that's electronic or has buttons (and this has both) fascinates him, so he messes around with it. At one point he changed the language to Spanish. I was quite unhappy with him that day. He's still not gaining weight well, but he probably never will. He's always been skinny and being a diabetic doesn't really help on that front. And he eats really well, so it's not that he's not eating enough. But he's doing all right, and so far I haven't had complaints from his teachers about behavior this year, so that's something. Little miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment